Our Media Training Services: Customized Workshops in NYC, DC or Your City
Not all media training is created equal.
In a crowded marketplace, we stand apart. We wrote the world’s best-selling media training book, The Media Training Bible. We publish the world’s most-visited media training website, Mr. Media Training. We influence the teaching methodologies that other trainers use.
Since 2004, Phillips Media Relations has delivered hundreds of tailored media training workshops to thousands of spokespersons, scientists, government officials, corporate CEOs, nonprofit directors, and many others. We’re broadly experienced with a wide variety of clients.
We know how to transfer our knowledge to trainees in a manner that enables them to act upon it immediately. Our sessions offer several high-level best practices, but focus on delivering practical feedback that leads to “a-ha!” moments and results in long-term behavior change. We’ve designed a fast-paced, fun, and highly effective workshop that has been delivered successfully hundreds of times.
But the best testaments to our effectiveness are our repeat clients, several of which we’ve worked with for more than a decade.
Adrienne Lea, Communications Director, American Society of Nephrology
“Brad Phillips doesn’t just help leaders handle media, make presentations or meet crises with aplomb; he improves organizations.”
Wendy Pearl, Vice President of Corporate Communications, Country Music Association
“Do not wait. Brad Phillips is a game changer.”
Elizabeth Horton, Director of Public Relations, Organic Valley
“Brad and Christina are seasoned experts who adapted right into our culture and ‘got’ us. They went above and beyond to understand the news-related challenges we face. They are not only highly skilled trainers, but also engaging and compassionate individuals.”
5 things you might like to know about us
1. We conduct deep research into your organization. If there’s one thing clients have told us more than anything else, it’s how surprised they were by the amount of research we conducted before each session. Before each highly tailored session, we read dozens of pages about your organization and each trainee’s subject area, review your media clips and messaging, and develop dozens of real-life practice interview questions.
2. We customize our sessions to your specific needs. We can prepare your spokespersons for specific media formats or types of interactions, emphasize any specific teaching points you identify in advance, and modify the session length and agenda to match your goals.
3. We wrote the book on media training. Literally. Our book, The Media Training Bible, has been Amazon’s top-selling media training book since its release in 2012. We also publish the world’s most-visited media training website, Mr. Media Training. We eat, breathe, and sleep media training—and that knowledge helps us earn the trust of our trainees almost immediately.
4. We know how to teach. Knowing how to deliver a successful media interview isn’t enough. It’s far more important to be able to transfer our knowledge to our trainees in a manner that enables them to act upon it immediately. We’ve regularly refined our teaching methodology since our founding in 2004, and have created a fast-paced, fun, and highly effective workshop that has been delivered successfully to thousands of trainees, hundreds of times. Our highly practical sessions have instant impact and lead to immediate improvement.
5. We root our recommendations in research. We regularly hear stories from trainees who were instructed by a previous trainer to do something that didn’t have any basis in research. As a result, the trainees were trying to communicate in an unnatural manner that went against their instincts—and that didn’t work for their audiences. Wherever possible, our advice is based in research, not subjective opinion.
What your trainees will learn
Through extensive on-camera training, interactive exercises, meaningful discussion and real-life examples, our trainees leave ready to take on even the toughest interviewers.
In a typical session, your trainees will learn how to:
- Understand the rules of working with the media
- Interview for print, radio and television
- Get the headlines they want
- Deliver a crisp 15-second description of their work
- Identify their true target audience
- Boost their credibility with the audience
- Develop messages that have impact
- Use the “message support stool” to strengthen messages
- Tell a story that moves minds and drives action
- Cite data in a compelling manner
- Develop irresistible media sound bites
- Transition from off-topic questions to on-message responses
- Manage adversarial and hostile questioning
- Remain “on message” without compromising authenticity
- Spot and avoid reporters’ tricks
- Create the right “feedback loops” through effective body language
- Model best practices for gesture, posture, voice, and eye contact
- …and more
OTHER FORMATS: We can also lead advanced media training sessions, refreshers, one-on-one executive sessions, virtual trainings, and coaching for online video and Facebook Live, among other formats (we do not currently offer train-the-trainer sessions).
How we can work together
1. Contact us! Tell us more about your training needs and goals, number of trainees, preferred location (we can host in DC and NYC or travel to your location), preferred time frame, and anything else you think we should know.
2. After we learn more about your potential training, we’ll send a proposal to you within 48 hours (often sooner) that details our professional fees and what is included in our training package.
3. If you select our firm, we’ll send you a contract with a nondisclosure agreement. Once the contract is signed, we’ll work with you to learn more about your work and develop a highly customized workshop.
4. Finally, the fun part! We’ll deliver a tailored workshop that meets (and hopefully exceeds) your goals!
Dun & Bradstreet (D&B), an independent firm, anonymously asked 20 of PMR’s clients about its performance. In its survey, D&B found that we earned:
- 99 percent for staff attitude, courtesy and professionalism
- 97 percent for following through on commitments reliably
- 96 percent for total costs corresponding closely to client expectations
A partial list of our firm’s clients and trainees (current and former) appears below.
- TD Ameritrade
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Hilton Hotels and Spas
- Rosewood Hotels and Resorts
- John Wiley & Sons
- Charter Communications
- Commonwealth Financial Network
- Organic Valley
- STIHL, Inc.
- Utz Quality Foods
- Laureate International Universities
- Elkay Manufacturing
- United Water
- Angie’s List
- Parade Magazine / Conde Nast
- Moet & Chandon
- Allagash Brewery
NONPROFIT / TRADE ASSOCIATIONS
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Sheppard Pratt Health Systems
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Country Music Association (CMA)
- Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA)
- National Public Radio
- Institute of International Education
- International Trademark Association
- Bipartisan Policy Center
- ASTM International
- WaterAid America
- World Lung Foundation
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- American Institute of Architects
- Global CCS Institute
- Navy Federal Credit Union
- American Montessori Society
- Slow Food USA
- Environmental Defense Fund
- National Fallen Firefighters Foundation
GOVERNMENT / QUASI-GOVERNMENTAL / MILITARY
- The Smithsonian Institution
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- United States Department of Commerce
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- United States Air Force
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Weather Service
- National Hurricane Center
- United States Peace Corps
- United States Postal Inspection Service
- Institute of Medicine
- New York State Department of Health
Brad Phillips is the president of Phillips Media Relations, a media and presentation training firm with offices in Washington, DC and New York City. He is the author of The Media Training Bible, an Amazon #1 Public Relations best seller, and 101 Ways to Open a Speech, a Kindle #1 Public Speaking best seller.
He founded Phillips Media Relations in 2004 after working for several years as a broadcast journalist. After beginning his career as an on-air radio announcer, Mr. Phillips worked for ABC’s Nightline with Ted Koppel, where he contributed to broadcasts about everything from the declining national savings rate and school shootings to domestic politics and terrorism.
He then moved to CNN, where he helped produce two weekly programs: the media analysis program, Reliable Sources, and the political roundtable The Capital Gang. He was also a contributing producer to the Sunday public affairs show Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer.
Christina Mozaffari is the vice president of Phillips Media Relations. Before becoming a full-time media and presentation trainer in 2011, she worked at NBC News, where she produced stories for NBC Nightly News, The Today Show and Hardball with Chris Matthews, among others. She helped create the first Education Week series, which later became the highly successful Education Nation franchise.
Ms. Mozaffari covered many of the major news stories in the last decade, from the 2008 presidential campaign, during which she traveled full-time with the Hillary Clinton campaign and later with Joe Biden, to Hurricane Katrina, the election of Pope Benedict in Rome and the war in Iraq.
She was awarded an Emmy as part of NBC’s team coverage of 2008’s presidential election night. Some of her favorite interviews she produced over the years include the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, the King of Jordan, Martin Sheen and Robert Redford.
Tyra Lowman, Senior Director of Spas, Hilton Hotels and Resorts
“This was my seventh media training, and the best one I’ve ever had. No media trainer has ever made me feel this comfortable—and prepared—before.”
Dr. Harvey Fineberg, President, Institute of Medicine
“Brad Phillips knows his stuff and does his homework.”
Scott Frank, Senior Director, Media Relations, The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
“Christina did an excellent job in tailoring two workshops to our audience and being engaging. We got some genuinely awesome feedback at the end. And these folks aren’t easily impressed!”
Sample our work
Below, you can read a free preview of The Media Training Bible, watch a few of our videos, and listen to our one-hour webinar on executive media training.
Call us at 212-376-5070 or email us at MrMediaTraining@gmail.com to discuss how we can help you achieve your media training goals. We look forward to speaking with you!